Founded in 1856, this 53+ acre municipal cemetery is the final resting place of many of Gainesville’s important historical figures and families. Also a place of great beauty, Evergreen Cemetery is fast becoming a major heritage- and eco-tourism destination for Alachua County.
Evergreen Cemetery was established in 1856. The City of Gainesville assumed ownership in 1944 and it remains the only municipal cemetery in Gainesville. This historic site also functions as an outdoor museum with stories of local historic developmental importance unfolding at every turn. In addition to the thousands of people to come to Evergreen to attend funerals, the cemetery also attracts visitors with interests in genealogy, tombstone art, photography and native plant material