The Visit Gainesville, Alachua County office maintains this page with the latest traveler information with emphasis on specific updates for Alachua County, FL. In addition to local impacts detailed below, travelers should follow CDC guidelines for COVID-19.
Phase 2 of the Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. Plan for Florida’s Recovery
Florida entered a phased approach to reopening and is currently in Phase 2.
Latest Guidance in Alachua County:
- Avoid gatherings of 50 people or more.
- Practice social distancing and stay 6 feet away from other people. That’s about the same as two arm lengths, or the wingspan of a flying fox, a kayak paddle or the length of an alligator.
- Certain types of businesses require masks. Masks or face coverings are also required when social distancing is not possible, such as visiting a store, entering a restaurant or hopping in a ride share. Examples of homemade face coverings can be found on the CDC website. Mask can be removed while dining. Please read the Alachua County Emergency Order for specific details.
- Businesses and offices have limited capacity so you may find yourself waiting in line before entering.
Hotels and Motels: Open
Lodging properties are open and operating. You may see extra sanitation practices, social distancing measures and other health precautions being put in place. Find places to stay here.
- Cade Museum for Creativity & Invention
- Kanapaha Botanical Gardens
- Ironwood Golf Course
- Carson Springs Wildlife Conservation Foundation
- Ben Hill Griffin Stadium
Restaurants are operating with limited dining room seating or are strictly offering takeout and delivery services. Outdoor seating is becoming more commonplace with some parking lots converted into outdoor patios. Tables of 10 or more can not be accommodated and service at bar areas is prohibited. Find restaurants with listings for takeout and delivery here.
Outdoor Spaces, Parks and Trails: Open
Most parks and trails are open for visitors. Explore the outdoors at Florida State Parks, and scenic local parks like Sweetwater Wetlands Park, Depot Park and Barr Hammock Preserve. Playgrounds and some facilities like pavilions are not accessible for the time being. Find a list of parks, trails and open spaces here.
Boat Ramps: Open
Launch a boat or kayak and to go fishing and get some fresh air on the water. High Springs Boat Ramp provides access to the Santa Fe River and nearby freshwater springs. Newnans Lake can be accessed from the south at Earl P Powers Park or on the East shore at Owen Illinois Park. Other bodies of water include Santa Fe Lake, Lake Alto, Lake Lochloosa and Watermelon Pond.
Attractions and Museums Currently Closed:
- Florida Museum of Natural History
- Butterfly Rainforest
- Harn Museum of Art
- Matheson History Museum
- Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo
- Alachua County Agriculture and Equestrian Center
View measurements and impacts at the Alachua County Recovery Dashboard.